Easy steps to Fix Laptop Camera Black Screen Issues: Windows 10 webcams will display a black screen if the software driver is outdated or corrupted. Windows and driver updates will immediately resolve the issues with your laptop camera black screen display. Some people advised checking the functionality of your recording program. Additionally, you should ensure that your USB port is operational and connect your camera to a different port.
Windows 10 and 11 function well with some of the highest-quality cameras. Nonetheless, some users are beginning to report that their camera displays a dark screen while in use.
Typically, this problem develops after an operating system update. However, you may quickly fix the problem by carefully following the instructions in this article. However, it must be noted that if the webcam’s hardware malfunctions, this will not be a viable solution. It is not a hardware problem; you can confidently use our Windows 10 and 11 solutions to resolve the camera black screen issue.
Why is the camera on my laptop black?
Several reasons might cause the black screen issues with your camera on Windows 10. Here are various variants of this problem and its root causes:
A4Tech and Logitech webcams display a black screen — Zooming the camera displays a black screen: This issue affects almost all cameras, and several people have reported it with A4Tech and Logitech webcams.
Webcam displays a dark image with no audio: A faulty driver often causes it, and is simple to fix.
Webcam displays white, green, and grey screens: It is a version of this issue, but you should be able to fix it using the solutions from this post. The camera on HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Acer, and Toshiba laptops displays a blank screen on Windows. It might be a hardware or driver-related problem.
Webcam displays a mirror image, inverted image, or image inverted: Typically, this is caused by faulty driver or camera settings. If your camera is not being identified, connect it to a different port and update its drivers.
The laptop camera displays a blank display Windows 10, Windows 11, and Windows 7: These solutions are compatible with all versions of Windows, so be sure to check them out.
Android camera dark screen: Try restarting your device or installing any available software updates.
Without further ado, let’s start!
How to Fix the camera black screen on my laptop?
1. Download the latest webcam driver
Visit the website of your webcam manufacturer to get the most recent driver. If a new version of Windows 10 drivers is available, you must remove the existing drivers and download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
If the webcam on your HP, Dell, or Lenovo laptop displays a black screen, you may download the newest driver from the manufacturer’s website. It ought to help fix the driver problem. Test it.
Use a third-party driver downloader
We also recommend using professional software to ensure that installing the incorrect drivers will not create issues on your computer. Use a customized app to eliminate the need to manually search for the proper drivers. Instead, any malfunctioning driver will be checked in its internal database and updated as necessary.
The system usually needs to update the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals. However, there are significant distinctions between generic and manufacturer-specific drivers. Therefore, searching for the correct driver version for each hardware component might take time and effort. That is why an automatic assistant, such as DriverFix, can help you discover and update your system with the necessary drivers every time. Here’s how to go about it:
- Install and download DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for the identification of all defective drivers.
- DriverFix will display all the problematic drivers, and you can choose the ones you want to be repaired.
- Wait while the application downloads and installs the most current drivers.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
2. Update your webcam driver
1. Device Manager may be accessed by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting the option.
2. To expand the Cameras option, double-click on it.
3. Select Update driver with a right-click on the drivers.
4. Choose the Browse, my computer for drivers check box.
5. Select the Allow me to choose from a list of available drivers option.
6. Select the USB Video device selection now.
7. Click the Next button, then wait for the procedure to complete.
Typically, driver issues are to blame for the camera black screen issue in Windows 10. In this scenario, updating your drivers should fix the problem. Reboot your computer after installing the update.
3. Update your recording application
1. Windows key + I will launch the Settings app.
2. Select Apps from the menu.
3. Locate the app experiencing the problem and click on it.
4. Select Uninstall from the menu.
5. Visit the Microsoft Store to get the app’s most recent version.
You may remove and reinstall the software if you encounter a camera black screen problem with Windows 10 applications such as Zoom or Skype. It is because the problem may be related to the application version you are using. Therefore, reinstalling the most recent version should resolve the issue.
4. Uninstall your webcam driver
1. Open Device Manager.
2. To expand the Cameras selection, click the arrow to its right.
3. Choose Uninstall the device by right-clicking your webcam driver.
4. To continue, click the Uninstall option.
5. Click the Scan for hardware changes icon, and then wait while Windows downloads the required drivers.
6. After reinstalling the drivers, verify if the laptop camera continues to display a black screen in Windows 10.
Consider that Windows 10 may automatically upgrade your drivers in the background, causing this problem to recur. If this occurs, you must perform these steps and remove your driver again.
5. Add a light source
Adding an extra light source might occasionally fix this issue. If your webcam displays a black screen, use a flashlight or any other bright light, and direct it toward your camera. After doing these steps, your webcam should once again function.
Remember that this is a poor workaround, but if this approach works for you, you can repeat it whenever you need to use your camera.
6. Remove your laptop battery
Sometimes, the camera black screen problem on Windows 10 can be due to specific issues with your laptop. Some users suggest that you detach your laptop from the power socket and remove the battery to fix this. Press or hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. It may be necessary to perform this step several times for this method to work.
7. Change your Exposure settings
1. Open Skype and go to Tools and choose Options.
2. Now choose Webcam settings from the Video settings menu.
3. Select the Auto checkbox next to Exposure on the Camera Controls tab.
4. Remember that each recording application is unique; thus, the Exposure option may not be accessible.
5. It is not a universal approach; you will need to repeat it for any video recording program you want to use.
8. Check Camera compatibility
If your camera displays a black screen on Windows 10 or 11, there may be a compatibility issue. Some older cameras may only be partially compatible with your PC, causing this problem to manifest.
To determine whether compatibility is the issue, we recommend testing your camera on a different device to see if the problem persists. If the camera black screen issue is not resolved, the camera may only partially be compatible with Windows 10, and the only choice is to replace it.
9. Disconnect any other USB devices and attach the camera to a new port
Other USB devices may sometimes create interference when using a USB camera. For example, it may happen while using a USB hub.
To fix the problem, it is recommended to unplug any extra USB devices and test the webcam.
If the problem remains and your camera displays a blank screen, you may connect it to a different port. Then, connect your camera to each access port to see whether this resolves the problem. If your camera displays a black screen after the Windows 10 upgrade, the remedies mentioned above are all you need to locate and fix.
How can I fix my Windows 11 camera’s blank screen?
1. Select Windows Terminal by pressing the Windows key plus X. (Admin).
2. Enter the following command and press Enter:
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.WindowsCamera* | remove-appxpackage
3. Finally, visit the Microsoft Store to reinstall the camera app.
4. After reinstalling the application, the camera should resume regular operation on Windows 11.
Windows 11’s camera black screen problem may be caused by obsolete or malfunctioning drivers, similar to Windows 10. Following the instructions in our Windows 10 tutorial will make updating drivers a breeze since the procedure is essentially the same under the new operating system.
Additionally, options described in this tutorial should operate flawlessly on Windows 11. You may test them if upgrading your drivers fails.
How can I restart my laptop camera?
Restarting the computer is the simplest method to restart the camera on a Windows 10 or 11 laptops with an integrated webcam. Additionally, you may need to delete and reload the camera drivers as outlined in this manual. If you need to restart the camera for a particular application, you may deactivate and reactivate the access in the settings.
The camera black screen problem on Windows 10 and 11 may be frustrating since it prevents programs such as Zoom and Skype from functioning. However, with the solutions in this tutorial, you should be able to restore normality. Regarding camera issues, you may be interested in our tutorial on what to do if the webcam in Windows 11 is not functioning. Please reply below in the page’s comments section if you have experienced any further camera issues for which the solutions listed above need to be fixed.